Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Apartment Life

As I hooked Bailey's leash on her collar at 9:45 p.m. and headed out the door to "go outside," I arrived at a fascinating conclusion about apartment life. You see, when you live on a property of hundreds of people, there are certain amounts of shame you as the resident must release unto the world. This is especially true if you have a dog.

Allow me to enlighten you...

  • Clothing- About 75%  of the time I take Bailey out I am wearing my pajamas. Pajamas generally include sweat pants that are a size too big or shorts that are a size too small. Throw in a plethora of travel shirts I have accumulated and my 7 pairs of slippers and now you're talkin'. Mix all of that with my frizzy hair that emerges after sleep and no make-up... well, welcome to apartment living. My neighbors don't mind me toting my english bulldog along while I adorn my pink elephant night gown do they? 
  • Communication- We all know and love the voice in which we speak to our pets. Well, thankfully, when you live in an apartment, the whole world gets to hear the special way you speak to your dog. It's amazing that at 5:00 a.m. I become my dog's biggest cheerleader. "Come on Bay! You can do it! Good girl!" What support she receives when going to the restroom, and, interestingly enough, what strange stares I get from my passerbys. Can a girl not support her dog?
  • Cleanliness- Now this is my favorite part. All dog owners that live in apartments have a unique opportunity that not all homeowners get to enjoy. We, the apartment dwellers, avoid at all costs having to get to pick up our dog's poop every time they do their business. Further reason to be jealous, the apartment staff generously supply green "poopy pouches" for us to dispose of our dear pet's poo. But don't worry, I've always got extra green bags tied to the leash if you ever need any. 
As you can see, I am a very modest and shy resident. I dress in ways that are appropriate, I keep my voice at a tolerable pitch, and I always clean up after my pet. I love apartment living... really I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment