Friday, July 13, 2012

Yearbook and a Flood


Next year I am going to be the yearbook teacher (as well as teaching World Cultures) at my school. I really am excited to take on this new challenge, but I have been kind of anxious about it since I don't really know what I am doing. Well, until today. I just spent my first day of yearbook training in Dallas, and I have 3 more to go. This might not seem like such a big deal, but driving to Dallas by myself and staying in a hotel room by myself has been nothing short of character building. I usually brag about the fact that I am a loner and enjoy my solitude, but there is something certainly awkward about being alone in unfamiliar territory. AND, my family's house flooded while I am stuck in a Texas-themed conference center surrounded by women that fit the very nature of every cliche you've ever imagined about teachers. Not to mention, you would think that a room of yearbook teachers would know the basic functions of a computer!

Anyways, like I said, my family's house flooded as I am here in Dallas. This will be the third time the neighborhood has flooded since my parents have lived there, but it doesn't make it any more tolerable. We, the family, have mastered the art of rushing valuables, pictures, clothes, furniture, etc. upstairs and elevating couches on to paint cans, but it is certainly surreal when water inches it's way in to your home. Thankfully, nothing of great importance has ever been lost and everyone has always remained safe, yet the aftermath is quite annoying.

In order to get out of the neighborhood, my brother and his wife rented a canoe from REI and paddled it up to the house. They took 2 trips to collect everyone and the dogs from the house. As I sit typing here in the business center of the hotel, Kyle is away at a bachelor party. It just so happened that Bailey was at my parent's house, and she apparently braved the flood just fine. She hates swimming, so I was surprised when the family sent pictures and videos of her running around in the water. Since Kyle and I are both away, my parents and the dogs are at our apartment while the rest of the family is staying at my brother's house.

Friday the 13th played it's games at my parent's house, but tomorrow looks to be a very special day. My sweet, precious nephew turns 1! Luckily, all of his aunts and uncles (minus me and Kyle) are having an unforeseen slumber party tonight.... and maybe the next.

Bailey running around in the water.

Josh, Anna, and Miles pulling up the driveway in the canoe.



Out of the 6 cars at their house, 4 flooded.
When the pool was starting to over flow
Bailey using the restroom. She could have gone in the house because it wouldn't of mattered, but she still used her manners and went outside. :) Love her!!
My mom and sister standing on the front porch.
Front of the house... the water still wasn't at it's highest when this was taken.




Miles with his Aunt Jill-The birthday boy came with his mommy and daddy to rescue everyone!
The first "rescue mission"
The second "rescue mission"
Bailey once she is safe at home! What a day!





No comments:

Post a Comment