Thursday, February 14, 2013

Middle School Valentine's

Valentine's Day really does hold a special place in my heart. Kyle and I first starting dating near Valentine's Day, and four years ago, we brought home our sweet, little Bailey. But, from the perspective of a middle school teacher, Valentine's Day is a whole new ballgame.

Before the school day had officially begun, a mob of preteens stood in line in the cafeteria to buy $1 carnations for their boyfriend/girlfriend/themselves. (Don't you remember those days well? Young love). By the time the first bell of the day rang, most of students had already eaten at least one piece of candy. And, once the bell to dismiss first period finally came, I thought to myself, "Is this day really just beginning?"

Valentine's Day in a middle school is simply a hormonal, sugar-filled, carnation-surplus kind of a day. Rules don't exist and being loud is the only option. Oh, and that emotional lesson I taught on fair-trade chocolate last week? Out the window. Those kids of mine had chocolate shoved in every free space of their pockets and backpacks.

I can usually tell when the day is almost over. The candy binge starts to slow down and the carnations are barely hanging on to the stem. And when the last bell of the day rings and I walk around my classroom picking up handfuls of candy wrappers, I let out a sigh of relief. I did it. I survived middle school Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment