Sunday, May 13, 2012

Kyle's 27th

   

Silly b-day poster I made for Kyle

         Kyle's birthday is on May 6th and his brother's is on April 26th. It seems that it is easier to get the family together to celebrate both birthdays at one time, so this year, we started Kyle's birthday celebration 9 days before his actual birthday. Now Kyle could care less if we actually celebrate his birthday, but to me, birthdays are a big deal. Growing up, my mom would make us stay upstairs the night before our birthday so that she and the rest of our family could decorate the breakfast table with elaborate birthday decorations and gifts. It was so exciting to anticipate coming down stairs the next morning to see how the table would be decorated. So, if Kyle likes it or not, birthdays will always be a big deal to me!

Here are a few snapshots of Kyle's 27th b-day week!

     This year was a little bit different because Kyle was going to be coming home from a bachelor party on his birthday. Since he left on Thursday afternoon and I wouldn't see him until 8:30 p.m. on his birthday, I wanted to make sure that his birthday week was special! Like I said, we started 9 days before May 6th with a yummy dinner at one of our favorite College Station restaurants, La Bodega. It was a great time to catch up with Kyle's family, have delicious food, great cocktails, and my favorite- a strawberry tart!

La Bodega

     I had been wanting to take Kyle to breakfast at Rio Ranch since we moved back to Houston after college. There is nothing super wonderful about eating here, but I have so many memories of eating there after church when I was little that I had to take Kyle there at least one time. So, last Sunday after church, we headed over to Rio Ranch for a little birthday brunch. Kyle still hadn't opened his cards from his parents the few nights before, so we decided to bring them in to the restaurant. Every time the waiter would refill our coffee, Kyle would open one of his birthday cards. We had such a fun time talking over coffee (and a lot of food), and it will always be such a special memory for me.

Only picture from Rio Ranch. Horrible pic!


     This wasn't apart of the birthday plan, but on Tuesday, Kyle found out that he had passed his last exam for a certain designation he was working on for work. This was a huge deal as the test are extremely hard, so we decided to head out for a celebratory dinner. We enjoyed a long, relaxing dinner on the patio at Daily Review Cafe. I'm so glad the test results came during his birthday week because it made it all the better!
Dinner at Daily Review

     But most of all, my favorite birthday moment of the week came on Kyle's actual birthday. I of course wanted this to be the best day, and I had planned a surprise for Kyle. We are going to New York this summer, and Kyle is a Sopranos fan. There is a tour company that takes you to landmark sites from the t.v. show, and Kyle was very interested in going. I had been feeding Kyle lines about us not having enough time, how I had never seen the show, and that I just plain wasn't going to do it! Well, all the while I was planning on doing it. This will be fifth time to New York, so I am willing to do whatever Kyle is interested in doing. So, back to the birthday. I picked Kyle up at the airport at 8:30 p.m. He was fairly grumpy as he had been on a plane all day... on his birthday. I was trying to keep him in a good mood since I knew I had a surprise waiting for him at home. Upon arriving at our apartment, Kyle walked in to the Sopranos Season 1 playing on the t.v. and a giant "Admit One" ticket to the Sopranos tour in New York. He was so surprised and excited, and thankfully, his bad mood wore off. To top it off, we used our china and Waterford for the first time and ate Italian food in honor of Tony Soprano.

Sopranos surprise!

Sopranos surprise!

     Kyle, you are the best! I love you more and more everyday! I'm so glad I decided to "Smile with Kyle"... still smilin'!






No comments:

Post a Comment