Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Family Tradition

     I love how cozy homes feel during Christmastime. The ambiance of Christmas lights and candles mixed with baked goods and holiday movies... well, you can't go wrong. Last year, I picked up a few decorations at the Nutcracker Market, but we still had one thing that we were missing-Christmas stockings! Right when we got married, if not sooner, I knew exactly what kind of stockings I wanted us to have. Growing up, my mom made all of our stockings. Albeit from a sewing kit, but nonetheless, I looked forward to the time each year when my mom pulled out the box of stockings and perfectly arranged them around the fireplace. Each stocking was perfectly picked out for each of the kids, and every time I look at them I still associate all the stockings with everyone's personality. What's even better is that every time one of us gets married, my mom makes another stocking.

     Well, as I said, I knew the kind of stockings I wanted Kyle and I to have. I wanted to carry on the tradition my mom had started. I went ahead and picked my stocking out first. I had no sewing experience at the time, and I would have felt terrible if I had messed up Kyle's stocking. I did manage to figure the stocking kit out, but it took forever to finish! It is no easy task, and I now appreciate how much time it took for my mom to sew 13 of them!

Stockings at my mom's...

My mom made this when I was in the 3rd grade. I wanted to take it to show and tell, but I thought I would get made fun of for believing in Santa. :0)
Kyle's- Notice... my mom had "Howdy" monogrammed on Santa's shoe. Gig'em.
Little brother's... he's 19, but I remember when my mom was pregnant with him while she was sewing all of these stockings.
Little sister's... again, she's 24.... I guess the May kids are all grown up.
The boss hog... my big brother's stocking
Josh's wife's
My stepdad's... I think this snowman is so cute!
My older sister's... she had a dog named Lucy when my mom made this stocking.
My mom's... the Christmas Queen
If you look closely at the bottom, you can see the scraps of Steven's. My mom is working on his Football Santa stocking. :)


Carrying on the tradition...


My first stocking to sew


And Kyle's... he wanted another beach stocking.



Looking forward to making more... but not for a few more years. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment