Saturday, February 19, 2011

Recipes With a Story

Beginning in middle school, I started to like the idea of learning to cook. I pulled old church cookbooks out of my mom's kitchen cookbook drawer, and I would sit and read through recipes. Usually I would look for one's that had the fewest and most simple ingrediants. However, I never actually started cooking any of these recipes until I got out of college. Finding a good recipe can be a fun process, but since there are so many recipes all over the place (cookbooks, internet, magazines), I generally find myself trying the recipe with the best story.

Back when I was looking through my mom's cookbooks I would always stop and read a recipe that had a note at the bottom that told about the histroy of the recipe. People always seem to put recipes that have been in their families for years or ones that evoke special memories. Those stories would instantly make me want to try the food that had been so special to those particular people.

I now find myself drawn to those same type of recipes; however, my method is sometimes different. I love doing a random search on the internet and then spending time reading through the comments that others have left. It's fun to read different people's reactions to food. I would say that the people's comments generally end up becoming my opinion as well once I have tried the recipe.

Since I have really had to start cooking once we got married, I often wonder which experimental recipes will become those that Kyle and I put in our own personal cookbook. What will be our recipe stories, and which ones will we choose to pass on?

Being a newlywed is too fun. I love wondering what our future holds.

Hopefully good recipes... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment